This Via Ferrata can only be accessed via the glacier - you will need proper glacier equipment!
From Dachstein Gondola's Mountain Station it will take you approx. 45 min to cross the Hallstätter glacier to the Simonyscharte and further on to the entry point.
The Amon Klettersteig provides a connection between the Adamek- and Simonyhütte. A very rewarding, though high-alpine via ferrata that should not be underestimated, with approach/descent across the glacier. Aside from alpine experience and good physical condition, glacier equipment is also essential.
Hiking Via Ferrata routes is a demanding sport in rugged terrain. For your safety, please observe the following rules:
- Via Ferrata routes are demanding and require a good level of fitness, no hight vertigo and sure-footedness.
- Always use a helmet and, a Via Ferrata kit to attach yourself to the safety rope. Many mountain rescue missions are a result of carelessness and bad weather conditions.
- Many routes require most of the day. When planning a tour, always include the possibility of a sudden change of weather. Be prepared: carry spare clothing and a good stock of food supplies.
- Always show respect towards fellow mountaineers. Inform them about possible dangers if need be.
- Take care of our environment. Only take photographs and memories with you - leave no trace.
Alpine Emergency Numbers
Mountain rescue 140
Euro Emergency Call 112
Tips and hints
Arriving from the west:
From the west you can take the Munich-Salzburg motorway, continuing on the Tauern motorway (A 10) until the Ennstal junction. From here take the Ennstal A-road (the B 320) for around 30 km into the Schladming-Dachstein region, then take the Ramsau am Dachstein turn-off.
Arriving from the north:
From the south-east take the Pyhrnautobahn motorway (A 9) to the Liezen junction and then the Ennstal A-road (B 320) into the Schladming-Dachstein region. Then take the Ramsau am Dachstein turn-off.
ParkingParking lot at the bottom station of the Dachstein glacier
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Via Ferrata and Glacier Equipment