Stage 8, the last stage on the Karnischer Höhenweg, involves a long, sometimes tough walk, mainly through conifer and beech forest. Although descents are its dominant characteristic there is still some climbing to do before finishing the end-to-end walk of the Carnic Alps.
The Karnischer Höhenweg ends at Thörl-Maglern, the small town that sits in the pass between the Carnic Alps and the next range, the Karavanke. There are bus and rail transport options from Thörl-Maglern but the service is infrequent. Although 5 kilometres of flat walking is a distinctively anti-climatic way to finish an epic mountain walk it is the most reliable option.
From the Gasthaus Starhand, head south on the 403 and climb gently into trees. After 100m the path crosses the border with Italy and reaches a junction with the path heading down to the Refugio Nordio (the Italian 507). Ignore the turnoff and stay on the path as it swings east and continues its climb through trees. After 200m the path reaches a second junction with the 507, it’s the more direct return route from the Refugio.
Continue climbing up a valley emerging eventually into meadows and reaching the summer settlement of Feistrizer Alm (1722) about an hour after leaving the Gasthaus Starhand.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.