The starting point of this ski tour is the Lend in Gröbminger Winkl. Through the breathtaking Öfenschlucht gorge, the route climbs up the serpentines until the turnoff at the lake bottom turns right and continues on to the Viehbergalm. The huts are not managed in winter, but nevertheless or just because of this the Viehbergalm is a unique place to enjoy the peace and quiet of winter. Descent via ascent path: approx. 30 minutes.
Tour at your own risk! No liability is assumed for any alpine dangers that may exist or occur (avalanche, ice fall, weather, etc.).
Before every ski tour or snowshoe hike you should always check the current avalanche report - available at www.lawine-steiermark.at .
Mountain sports and the assessment of the situation on site is - in winter all the more so - primarily the responsibility of the individual. Tourism associations or avalanche warning services do not accept any liability on the basis of information provided.
Getting theremit dem PKW nach Gröbming bis in die Lend
Parkingparking place Lend
Book recommendations for this region:
Normal touring ski equipment + safety equipment (avalanche transceiver, probe, shovel).
Equipment rental: Sport 2000 Mandl in Gröbming
Basic Equipment for Ski Touring
- Ski Helmet
- 2 pairs of Gloves: lightweight, breathable and windproof for going uphill, regular ski gloves for downhill
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Additional warm jacket
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Lightweight wind- and waterproof ski pants
- 20 to 28 liter rucksack, preferably backcountry type
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Ski Touring
- Ski touring boots
- Ski touring bindings to fit boots
- Ski touring skins to fit skis
- Ski poles, preferably telescopic type
- Avalanche safety equipment to consider: beacon, avalanche probe, avalanche shovel
- Ski touring crampons
- Crevasse rescue kit
- Ski touring harness
- Light ice axe
- Ski touring ropes
- Avalanche airbag backpack
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.