Ski tour in the typical karst landscape of the Tote Gebirge.
Distance 14.4 km
Across the alpine plateau of the Tauplitzalm eastward to the Steirersee, then on a wide cirque ramp along the Tragl east walls up to the easy peaks of the plateau of the Tote Gebirge. Descent via Kitzloch and counter ascent to Öderntörl.
On the way to the Scheiblingtragl it is also worth making a detour to the Großer Tragl.
Update: November 26, 2021
Safety informationIt is essential to inform yourself about the current avalanche warning level before the ski tour.
Tips and hintsGPX data and description text from www.alpenvereinaktiv.com | Author: Wolfgang Lauschensky
Getting thereThe best way to plan the approach to the Tauplitzalm is with google.at/maps.
A ten-kilometer toll road leads from Bad Mitterndorf to the Tauplitzalm.
ParkingAt the end of the Tauplitzalm alpine road there is a large parking lot where there is enough parking space.
33T 423759 5271726
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentThe topic of safety plays a major role in ski touring. You should always have the most important utensils with you:
- Avalanche transceiver (LVS)
- Avalanche shovel
- Avalanche probe
- First aid kit
- Bivy sack
- Provisions Maps of the area
Basic Equipment for Ski Touring
- Ski Helmet
- 2 pairs of Gloves: lightweight, breathable and windproof for going uphill, regular ski gloves for downhill
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Additional warm jacket
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Lightweight wind- and waterproof ski pants
- 20 to 28 liter rucksack, preferably backcountry type
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Ski Touring
- Ski touring boots
- Ski touring bindings to fit boots
- Ski touring skins to fit skis
- Ski poles, preferably telescopic type
- Avalanche safety equipment to consider: beacon, avalanche probe, avalanche shovel
- Ski touring crampons
- Crevasse rescue kit
- Ski touring harness
- Light ice axe
- Ski touring ropes
- Avalanche airbag backpack
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view