The Silberkarklamm is a romantic white-water canyon in the heart of the Dachstein massif.
From the parking lot above the Lodenwalke in Ramsau Rössing, it goes along the Silberkarbach to the entrance of Silberkar (1.050 m). The trail goes through great, wild nature, past alpine plants and animals in their own Ökoraum. At the end of the gorge opens Silberkar. Formerly a cultivated pasture, now destination for young and old. For families with children the Silberkarhütte is usually the end point of a beautiful hike. For others ist the pasture the starting point for hikes, e.g. to the Guttenberghaus.
Tips and hints
Safety on the mountainside: changes in the weather, sudden fall in temperature, thunder storms, wind, fog and snow fields are all objective dangers and require the correct behaviour whilst underway. the landlords of the huts are all very knowledgeable about the mountains and can give you good tips about the weather and the routes. Insufficient equipment, exaggerated opinion of ones capabilities, frivolousness, poor health condition and a false evaluation of the situation can lead to a critical situation. In thunder storms: summits, crest-sites and safety rope aids are to be avoided.
If something should happen call following emergency numbers:
No. 140 - the number for all Alpine Emergencies in all of Austria
No. 112 - European emergency call GSM emergency-call-service
Getting thereby car until parking area Silberkarklamm in Ramsau (Rössing)
Parkingparking area Silberkarklamm, Ramsau
Recommended maps for this region:
Equipmentsturdy shoes, sticks,
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.