Our cycling tour starts on the Mur Cycling Path, probably the best known and longest bike path in Styria. After a few kilometres we turn onto the Erzherzog Johann cycle path. Take a break for action or culture right now, or on your way back? We head right past Styria Karting, the Austrian Sculpture Park and Schwarzlsee towards Premstätten and Dobl. The transmitter and Gjaidhof castle catch the eye in Dobl. The R14 from Muttendorf leads along the Kainach river, past the hidden Pöls castle, up a short incline to Pöls on the Wieserbahn railway, on via Kühberg and Hengsberg with fascinating panoramic views of the Graz basin, the West Styrian mountains and the Schöckl. Remains of Roman burial mounds can be seen right next to the cycle path before we reach Weitendorf. In Wildon you can jump into the refreshing water – the popular swimming and leisure pond is located right on the cycle path. We head leisurely back to Kalsdorf on the Mur Cycling Path, through the characteristic landscape of the banks of the Mur.
Getting thereCar: Motorway A9 exit Kalsdorf
Bike: via Murradweg R2
ParkingFree parking at St. Anna Park in the center of Kalsdorf or P&R at Kalsdorf train station
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentRoadworthy bicycles (trekking bike or e-bike) with prescribed equipment.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.