And when you reach your destination a summit pyramid awaits you along with a breathtaking view. The panorama panel modelled on a “Steinmandl” provides summit descriptions and exciting facts about the Dachstein glacier area. So why a “Steinmandl”? These little stone men have served since time immemorial as simple but practical waymarks in the mountains. And it is one of these little men who also marks your hiking destination on the Kleiner Gjadstein.
Along the experience trail you will see sections of glacier-smoothed rock and many millions of fossil imprints. Diagrams are also provided to describe many of these natural attractions.
Subjects covered include: fossils, water and the development of lime, karst und karren, the “eternal ice” on the glacier, the Dachstein and its evolution and the “Natura 2000”, the Dachstein protected site of community interest where you are.
This provides you with insights into the processes, both past and present, that have significantly shaped the Dachstein natural phenomenon and will continue to do so in future.
Safety informationAround half of the experience trail is also suitable for less experienced hikers. The final stretch is a little more demanding and therefore, like all climbing and hiking routes, requires concentration, surefootedness and plenty of stamina.
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.