* Gr. Buchstein (2.224 m) via Westschlucht in 2,5 h
or via Wengerweg 2,25 h, via Südwand-Klettersteig (A+B) 2 h
*From St. Gallen/Eisenzieher in 5 hours to the summit, same route number
Safety informationrelatively easy to walk up to the start of the via ferrata, then narrow path in rubble terrain - danger of slipping! Also when ascending and descending in the Western Gorge take special care, especially when it is wet!Only use a via ferrata set and a rockfall helmet on the via ferrata!
Tips and hintswww.buchsteinhaus.at
Getting thereB 146 Gesäuse-Bundesstraße aus Richtung Admont oder Hieflau bis Gstatterboden
ParkingParking at Gstatterboden railway station or at the Gstatterboden National Park Pavilion
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentSturdy hiking boots or good trekking shoes, as well as a hiking rucksack with appropriate contents (water bottle, blister plaster, hiking map, snack, etc.).
You should also be well prepared for a change of weather.
for the via ferrata: via ferrata set and rockfall helmet.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.