This hike over the Stolzalpe is very popular among many locals, either starting out from Murau to St. Peter or vice versa. This route is also part of the long-distance hiking network "Vom Gletscher zum Wein ‒ From Glacier To Wine" (in the opposite direction), which runs throughout the whole of Styria, as well as the Hemma Pilgrim's Trail. Every June, on what is known as Stolzalpl-Sonntag, hikers and pilgrims set off from both towns (Murau and St. Peter) to conquer the summit of the Stolzalpe and celebrate a mass at an altitude of 1,800m, complete with musical accompaniment. This tradition exists at some peaks in the region; it is a vibrant Styrian custom and certainly a unique opportunity for visitors to be part of this extraordinary day.
From the summit of the Stolzalpe, begin the descent to St. Peter am Kammersberg. Plan your return from St. Peter to Murau in advance: either by public transport or taxi.
- Plan your tours carefully & stay flexible.
- Bring the right equipment.
- Check current weather information.
- Cancel your trip in the event of poor weather.
- If there is an accident, remain calm.
- Emergency mountain rescue number: 140
- Take your rubbish with you.
- Act calmly when encountering animals on the mountain pastures (alps).
- Always keep dogs on a lead.
Tips and hints
Gesundheitswerkstätte: Führungen jeden Mittwoch um 15.30 Uhr oder gegen Voranmeldung. Herr Kilian Schwarz Tel.: +43 664 913 03 45, Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bus von St. Peter nach Murau: http://www.stlb.at/fahrplaene/
Taxi Wif-Zack, Tel. +43 664 395 77 77
Taxi Maier, Tel. +43 664 324 98 73
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- Sturdy footwear with high-grip soles, protection against the rain, the cold and the sun, enough drink, hiking maps, emergency equipment (dressings, blister pads, etc.)
- Packing your rucksack properly makes things much easier: pack heavy items first. Your water bottle should always be stored within reach in a side pocket. Items used often, such as sun glasses, camera, maps, etc., go on top.
- 5 Waypoints
- 5 Waypoints