Limber up and enjoy this challenging hike to the North Summit of the tallest mountain in Tyrol's Verwall Alps
Strecke 17,5 km
With an elevation gain of nearly 2,000 m, and a route that took us nearly 11 hours to complete, getting to the top and back down in one day proved pretty demanding. Many will choose to split up the journey by overnighting in the Edmund-Graf-Hütte and tackling the summit climb the following morning. Whichever option you take, the journey, sense of achievement, and fantastic views from the top of the Hoher Riffler are worth the effort. We visited in late October and had to contend with quite a bit of snow. I'm sure that the trip is much easier during the warmer summer months!
- Start early, especially if going later in the year.
- Be on the lookout for ibex chilling in the sun.
- Download the route in advance in order to keep track of where you are. There are coloured markers on the rocks, but they might be obscured in snowy conditions.
- The final third of the ascent involves a lot of loose rock and a substantial talus field to work your way through, so mind your ankles.
- Be wary of rockfalls, especially if the snow is melting.
Weitere Infos und LinksUnless you live locally, it might be worth staying the night locally before or after your climb.
- Pettneu is accessed using the S16, which connects from the A12 if traveling from Innsbruck or the A14 from the direction of Bludenz and Feldkirch.
- If coming from Germany, the most scenic option is to take the A7, which then becomes the 179 (aka the 'Fernpass') after the border and then join up with the S16 near Imst.
- St. Anton am Arlberg, which is only a few kilometres from Pettneu, has a rail connection.
ParkenWe left our car at the Parklplatz Malfontal, which were delighted to discover is free- or was when we went.
32T 601719 5221752
Buchtipps für die Region
Kartentipps für die Region
AusrüstungAs we knew we'd encounter snow, we took crampons and an ice axe and helmet each- we were grateful for the extra security.
Dauer : h
Höchster Punkt Hm
Tiefster Punkt Hm
Verschiebe die Pfeile, um den Ausschnitt zu ändern.