Logo DAV
Logo AVS
1 Monat gratis Pro testen Community
Sprache auswählen
Start Touren Amberley the South Downs Way & Parham Park
Tour hierher planen Tour kopieren

Amberley the South Downs Way & Parham Park

· 7 Bewertungen · Wanderung · West Sussex
Verantwortlich für diesen Inhalt
HF Holidays
  • /
    Foto: HF Holidays, HF Holidays
m 300 200 100 14 12 10 8 6 4 2 km
Starting from the village of Amberley, this walk joins the route of the South Downs Way (SDW) and ascends to the ridge of the South Downs. After leaving the SDW, the route continues through Parham Park. Here, when Parham House is open, there is an optional extension to the House (fee) church.
15,6 km
4:03 h
198 hm
197 hm
Key Information 
John Wood, route researcher
Distance: 9.6 miles (15.5km)  Time: allow 5 hours plus stops
The extension to Parham House and St Peter’s church adds 0.9 miles (1.4km). Allow an extra 30 mins walking time. 
Start & Finish: Amberley village If travelling by car, it is suggested that you park in School Road, the turning off the B2139.

Local Information

Refreshments: Tea Room (01798 839196) in Amberley and The Sportsman pub on outskirts of Amberley. 
Facilities: There are none in Amberley, other than for customers at the Tea Room.  When Parham House is open, there are toilets in the courtyard. 
Places of Interest: Amberley - Amberley is one of the most attractive of the Downland villages. To the East there is the scarp slope of the Downs, rising up to Amberley Mount with a steep ascent to the South Downs Way. To the South & West there is the River Arun and the wild brooks, which are usually flooded for part of the winter.  The village has its own castle, although it is now an hotel and wedding venue. Below the castle wall is a plaque recording the flood level in Nov 2000. The Castle was first built in Norman times but was fortified in the 14th century to guard the Arun gap from the French.  The name means "yellow field" and derives from the buttercups which grow seasonally on the surrounding water meadows. 

St Michael’s Church - Bishop Luffa, who was also responsible for building Chichester Cathedral, began work on the present nave & chancel arch around 670 AD.  Until 16th C the Bishops of Selsey, & later Chichester, lived in the adjoining castle. The wall paintings to right of the Chancel Arch are 12th -13th C.  

top left corner: Christ in majesty with the world between his feet.  
below is a Resurrection with Christ rising from a stone coffin, with sleeping soldiers beneath.  
top right corner: a Resurrection appearance to Peter. 
bottom right panel cannot be deciphered.  
below these 4 panels there is the Flagellation of Christ on left, and the 3 figures on the right form a Procession to Calvary. 
below this is a Crucifixion scene with Mary and John the disciple. 
On the outside wall of church, on SE corner of aisle, & behind tomb of John Harwood, is a scratch sundial. [If sunny, place a walking pole in the hole to show the time!]
Amberley, the South Downs Way & Parham Park – Page 8 

Bury - The tall spired church stands near the remains of a jetty where passengers once waited to be ferried across the Arun to Amberley. 

South Downs Way - The South Downs are 100 miles of chalk hills from Winchester to Eastbourne. The SDW follows old routes & droveways along the chalk escarpment & ridges of the Downs. The undulating cliffs of the Seven Sisters & Beachy Head are a fitting finale. 

Parham House - After Dissolution of the Monasteries (1540), Henry VIII granted the manor of Parham to Robert Palmer: a London mercer (dealer in silks & fine textiles). Parham’s foundation stone was laid in 1577 during reign of Queen Elizabeth I.  It has always been a family home: only 3 families have lived here since its foundation. The Hon. Clive Pearson bought house & estate in 1922. He found the house & garden in sad repair, but restored them & opened the house to visitors in 1948. His work was continued by his daughter, Veronica Tritton, who lived here until her death in 1993. Since 1994, Lady Emma Barnard, the gt-grand-daughter of Clive Pearson, has lived here with her family. The house and gardens are now owned by a Charitable Trust.  The collections of paintings, furniture, needlework & antiquities were collected over 60 years by Mr & Mrs Pearson, and subsequently their daughter. Their guiding principle, aside from acquiring some of the original furniture and effects, was to add to the house in a sympathetic, sensitive and inspiring manner. The estate comprises 875 acres (354 ha), including an historic deer (dark-coated fallow) park, designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest, with veteran oak trees, rare insects & lichens. The Park is one of the few release sites for native field crickets in England. It is also noted for its woodland birds and breeding herons. In order to protect this important environment, it only has limited access to visitors.

Please Note: All self-guided walks and cycle rides are undertaken entirely at guests’ own risk. Route directions are supplied in good faith; however HF Holidays cannot be held responsible for any errors contained within.

Updated GSE/GSE 29/9/19
Profilbild von HF Holidays
HF Holidays 
Aktualisierung: 29.09.2019
Höchster Punkt
189 m
Tiefster Punkt
-2 m


50.907211, -0.534513
50°54'26.0"N 0°32'04.2"W
30U 673336 5642401


alle Hinweise zu Schutzgebieten


50.907211, -0.534513
50°54'26.0"N 0°32'04.2"W
30U 673336 5642401
Anreise mit der Bahn, dem Auto, zu Fuß oder mit dem Rad

Buchtipps für die Region

mehr zeigen

Fragen & Antworten

Stelle die erste Frage

Hier kannst du gezielt Fragen an den Autor stellen.


Profilbild von Robert Weir
Robert Weir
Heute · Community
Chip Sawyer 
28.09.2020 · Community
Lovely testing walk quite steep incline and decline but the usual lovely views when on top of the downs
mehr zeigen
Profilbild von Ian Burke
Ian Burke
26.09.2020 · Community
mehr zeigen
Alle Bewertungen anzeigen

Fotos von anderen

15,6 km
198 hm
197 hm


  • 2D 3D
  • Meine Karte
  • Inhalte
  • Bilder einblenden Bilder ausblenden
: h
Verschiebe die Pfeile, um den Ausschnitt zu ändern.